Monday, October 8, 2007

Remembering Pavarotti

I still feel sad when I think of Luciano Pavarotti's death a month ago. So today I bought a few of his greatest hits for my iPod. (I also had to download a Billy Talent song to offset all that lushness.) I loved Paul Pott's rendition of "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot and am grateful to Mark for introducing me to this in his blog post, but as far as I'm concerned, Pavarotti owns "Nessun Dorma". This is his signature piece. I also love "Torna a Surriento". My Dad used to whistle this all the time as he worked in the restaurant kitchen when I was a kid. I didn't know what it was called until I bought The Three Tenors CD in my twenties. I finally added "La Donna e Mobile" from Rigoletto and "Recondita Armonia" from Tosca to round things out. If there are any Pavarotti fans out there, feel free to suggest other songs I should add to my little iPod collection. Pavarotti had said, "A life in music is a life beautifully spent," and I would wholeheartedly agree.

No comments: